How to Get Siri to Read Your Messages Aloud: Rita’s iDevice Advice for January 6, 2020
Siri will only announce your messages as they arrive if you are using one of a small list of compatible earbuds:
* AirPods (2nd Generation)
* AirPods Pro,
* Powerbeats Pro
* Beats Solo Pro
There is a way to hear your messages read without compatible earbuds, but it’s not as good. Tell Siri something like: “Hey Siri, read my messages,” and Siri will read your new messages to you. This is available all the time, but Siri will only read messages when you give the command. If you want Siri to read new messages as they arrive, without your having to ask, then you need compatible earbuds, and to follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap Notifications.
3. Tap Announce Messages with Siri to enter a menu of options related to the feature.
If you don’t see this option, skip to step 5.
4. Toggle Announce Messages with Siri.
5. If the option to have Siri read your messages through your compatible earbuds is not available, then you may need to unpair and re-pair your earbuds.
6. Open the Settings app.
7. Tap Bluetooth.
8. Look for your earbuds and tap the “i” in a circle.
9. Tap Forget This Device.
10. Then pair your compatible earbuds again.
11. To pair second generation AirPods, open the charging case and bring them near your iPhone. Follow the prompts to pair your earbuds.
12. A popup window will appear offering the option to Announce Messages With Siri.
13. Tap Announce Messages With Siri.
14. Siri will only read new messages if they arrive when the screen is off and your compatible earbuds are in your ears.
15. After Siri has read a text to you, Siri will start listening for your reply. You can answer without saying, “Hey Siri.”
You have now learned two ways to have Siri read your text messages! Now you know how to hear what your message says, even with your iPhone still in your pocket.